- See Green Screen
- This is a GUI (Graphical User Interface} for using Microsoft Windows to access AS/400.
- IBM frequently made improvements in this interface, and changed the name to reflect the new and imporved reality.
- This happened so often that people could get lost figuring out what is now the official name.
- Before Client Access there was PC whatever.
- After Client Access there was iSeries Access.
What is Client Access Infrastructure ?
This is a set of principles, guidelines, and rules used by an organization to direct the process of acquiring, building, modifying and interfacing with IT resources throughout the enterprise.
The resources can include:
- Cable Systems for interconnecting equipment
- How connect PCs to 400
- spend $150 per PC and PC printer to connect to twinax and know next to nothing when something goes wrong or spend much more $ on a better quality interface
- network PCs to a PC-based server then network the PC server to the 400
- mix and match IBM and 3rd party solutions
- Communications protocols
- Remote site support
- How we connect thru ma bell
- Application development
- Data base systems
- Shared pool of documentation
- IT Organizational structure
- IT professional skills
- GUI software updates
- Relational data base concepts
- Network management
- Integrate new technologies with base software applications such as BPCS
- bar coding & data collection
- Internet access
- re-think security where before it was Ok to assume 99% users trustworthy, now we have a world of hackers and malware out there
- Help Desk services
What ERP Version is best?
What is Client / Server ?
Client / Server computing is the splitting of an application into tasks that are performed on separate computers, one of which is a programmable workstation.
- Client is the computing resource that is USING some resource provided by a Server.
- Server is the computing resource that is PROVIDING some resource to Clients.
- There can be a linkage or hierarchy of multiple Clients of Servers, in which the Clients are in turn Servers to other Clients.
Client/Server Computing is NOT
- It is NOT some specific software.
- It is NOT some specific hardware.
- It is NOT a solution for all applications.