- Free-format RPG on DeveloperWorks
- 7.2: Integrated with the base OS
- 7.1: Requires compiler PTF SI51094 or its supercedes, as well as DB2 group PTF SF99701 level 26 or higher.
- 7.1 PTF first became available in Nov 2013.
Fully free-form RPG
RPG now allows for a syntax which contains no columns at all; it is fully free-form, beginning in column 1. To use, the first line of code must be **free starting in column 1. There is no predefined final column. There is one limitation: the program does not allow ANY columnar (fixed form) RPG, including comments with an asterisk in column 7. RDi 9.5 recognises this new syntax. It is provided as a PTF, but is not in a group or TR - it must be ordered separately. First available in November 2015.
- SI58136 (compiler, target-release *CURRENT only)
- DB2 group PTF SF99701 level 38 (SQL precompiler)
- SI58137 (compiler, target-release *CURRENT)
- SI58110 (compiler, target-release *PRV)
- DB2 group PTF SF99702 level 9 (SQL precompiler)
- Built In Functions
- Program To System Fields
- Function Key AID Bytes
- Free form calculation specifications
Books on RPG IV
- PDF of Who Knew You Could Do That with RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More (SG245402) at IBM Redbooks