Green Screen is the familiar 5250 way to interface with the 400 and its prior platforms, prior to the implementation of GUI (Graphical User Interface) methods.
There are a handful of functions supported on one but not the other.
- Operations Navigator is a GUI to 400 provided with Client Access, and enhanced at each OS/400 and i5/OS release.
- It supports many AS/400 iSeries operator and user functions.
- The functions available to you depend upon
Green Screen Advantages
- Easier to manage security.
- More flexible backup options.
- See GO BACKUP
- With Green Screen, people need to know the 400 command structure, parameters, and how to navigate the menus.
- With Operations Navigator it is all drop down menu directory lists like the Microsoft Windows interface.
- Easy to drag and drop stuff
- All the features we associate with GUI