- The Outline View is one of several Views that are included with RDi. The outline view is intended to act as a guide to understanding where various program elements are defined and referenced; much like the cross reference at the bottom of the traditional compiler listing. But the outline view allows the programmer to click on a variable, subprocedure, etc and be taken to the line being referred to.
- Outline view forms the basis of several enhancements in RDi 9+; specifically 'Live Outline' (Preferences > Remote Systems > Remote Systems LPEX Editor > IBM i Parsers > ILE RPG - Update the Outline view when text is changed in the editor).
- There are several limitations, as documented in Technote 1592728
When Live Outline is selected:
- O-specs are not included
- References to conditioning and level indicators are not included
- References for DEFINE opcode with *LIKE factor 1 are not included
- Incorrect data structure length shown when using LIKE on a data structure using OVERLAY
- (M) and (D) attributes on references do not match in all cases
- Attribute information on fields does not match in all cases
- Incorrect length shown when using OVERLAY(field:%BIF())
- Compile-time expressions as keyword parameters are not recognized. For example the value of CONST(%LEN(fld1)) will not be reflected in the outline view.