Zip is a utility that compresses text files. It is often coupled with unzip, which extracts the compressed files from an archive (.zip file). GNU have an open source version called gzip / gunzip. Often, .zip files are sent via email as a poor man's FTP. IBM i does not provide a native zip / unzip utility, so we typically install a PASE version.
Java can be used in a pinch because .jar files are actually an archive (.zip file) of the class files. Use jar xvf to extract.
- Scott Klement's 7-zip for PASE
- SI44998 OSP header files for QZIPUTIL service program IBM i 7.1
- SI44777 OSP Zip and Unzip API on V7R1
- Young iSeries Professionals PASE page
- 5799-PTL gzip, part of PRPQ 5799-PTL