Major functions of OS/400 are:
- CLP Control language Commands used to talk with the computer.
- DB2 Data management, ability to define and use data files.
- Work management of Jobs running on the system, to support tasks of many users.
- See Messages 101 for info on the various kinds of Messages we can have on the system.
- Programming languages, Editors, development, testing support.
- System Operator service menus for easy access to frequently used operator functions.
- Communications support for a wide range of types of communications with remote sites, other IBM i or other types of computers.
- How PCs are connected to the system... see Client Access.
Note the name of the operating system has changed from OS/400 to i5/OS to IBM i.